- any operations or works in an offshore area carried out under a petroleum instrument, other authority or consent under the Act or the regulations; and
- any activity relating to petroleum exploration or development which may have an impact on the environment; and
- seismic or other surveys; and
- drilling; and
- construction and installation of a facility; and
- operation of a facility; and
- significant modification of a facility; and
- decommissioning, dismantling or removing a facility; and
- construction and installation of a petroleum pipeline; and
- operation of a petroleum pipeline; and
- significant modification of a petroleum pipeline; and
- decommissioning, dismantling or removing a petroleum pipeline; and
- storage, processing or transport of petroleum.
Source: Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Environment) Regulations 2009 (Statutory Rules 1999 No. 228 as amended), Australia, prepared on 1 January 2012. Regulations
The term petroleum activities does not cover onshore facilities for utilisation of petroleum that are not necessary for or constitute an integral part of production or transport of petroleum. This entails that e.g. gas power plants whose only purpose is to deliver energy to the grid or to land-based industrial activities, and crude oil refineries, where recovered petroleum can be delivered for processing to this or another refinery, fall outside the definition of petroleum activities. Cf. also the comments regarding Section 10-4 of the Petroleum Act in Odelsting Proposition No. 46 (2002-2003), page 10.
Source: Guidelines Regarding the Framework Regulations, Norway, updated December 2012. Regulatory Guidance
All activities associated with subsea petroleum deposits, including exploration, exploration drilling, production, transportation, utilisation and decommissioning, including planning of such activities, but not including, however, transport of petroleum in bulk by ship.
Source: Regulations relating to health, safety and the environment in the petroleum activities and at certain onshore facilities (the Framework Regulations), Norway, February 2010 (amended December 2011). Regulations
Source: Act 29 November 1996 No. 72 Relating to Petroleum Activities, Norway, amended June 2011. Legislation
“Petroleum activities” means the activities related to exploration and exploitation of petroleum and natural gas.
Source: Petroleum and Natural Gas (Safety in Offshore Operations) Rules, 2008, India, 18th June 2008. Regulations